A recent study conducted by Harvard University revealed the fact that the Omega 3 deficiency is among top 10 causes of death in the USA. The unhealthy lifestyle and eating habits represent the main reasons for the unbalance in our bodies between the Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. In the right amount, the Omega 6 is not bad for health, but in large quantities, it may cause serious health issues like asthma, heart conditions, obesity, type 2 diabetes, or even cancer. Omega 3 can balance the Omega 6 fatty acids and restore the order in our bodies. The primary source of Omega 3 is fish oil.
Most of the health benefits of fish oil are due to the generous quantities of omega-3 fatty acids, especially Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Fish oil is one of the dietary supplements with the most benefits for our general health. It was scientifically proven that the Omega 3 acids found in fish oil could help people suffering from:
- Anxiety – It is essential to supplement the diet with fish oil, especially during the periods of brain development. This way children are protected from manifesting depression or anxiety later in
- ADHD – Our brain is mostly composed of fatty acids, and they should be obtained from food. Whenever necessary, the Omega 3 can be supplemented by taking fish oil pills. Medical studies showed that symptoms of ADHD, like the inability to focus, hyperactivity and impulsive behavior are improved by increasing on this substance.
- Alzheimer disease – Omega 3 acids found in fish oil are essential for slowing down the symptoms of people diagnosed with Alzheimer.
- Cancer – It was noticed that fish oil fights different types of cancer such as breast, colon or prostate. Not only the Omega 3 from fish oil makes the chemotherapy drugs more useful, but some studies also concluded that it could even stand alone as a therapy.
- Diabetes – Studies showed that fish oil does wonders for people with diabetes by controlling the blood sugar level. It also protects the hippocampus’ cells from destroying and cause the cognitive
- Eye disease – It is known that fish oil can be used as therapy for age-related eye disorders like cataract or it can improve the symptoms of dry eye.
- Skin and hair conditions – The fatty Omega 3 acids found in fish oil prevent wrinkles and avoid the appearance of other skin conditions like dandruff, eczema or age spots. The hair also looks thicker and healthier.
- Obesity – Combined with proper physical exercises, fish oil is very useful in reducing the belly fat
- Osteoporosis – A higher level of Omega 3 fatty acids has a positive influence on the bone density and calcium balance.
The daily dose of fish oil one person should take is influenced by age and mostly by the health problem intended to treat. Still. For most people, 1000 mg per day is enough to improve the health condition. There are many types of fish used in fish oil supplements, and salmon, mackerel, tuna, cod liver, sardines, pollock, halibut, and herring are the most common. More doesn’t necessarily mean better because the amount of Omega 3 must be in ratio with Omega 6. It is a good idea to buy fish oil rich in triglyceride as it is better preserved.